The 1930s

The years of the thirties were remembered as very good times despite the hardships caused by the Depression.  One of the outstanding "good times" was the yearly Fourth of July celebration.  There was always a parade; pennies were thrown to the crowd, and the band played on!

 

Public dances were the big entertainment during that decade.  They were generally held on Wednesday and Saturday nights when the business places were open.  In the early 1930's, the first outdoor dance pavilion was built.  It was more commonly known as the "bowery".  Morris Lebacken was in charge of it construction and operation.  The bowery consisted of a wooden floor with an open railing and benches around.  There was a small enclosed shelter for the band.  Those were the days when the admission was 10 cents a dance, then not long after a regular admission was charged at the door.  The "old - time" music drew large crowds from all over the area.  Local bands usually provided the music for the Saturday night dance.  Three of the most frequent bands were:  The Nelson Band consisting of Olander Nelson, violin; Martin Nelson, saxophone; Bud German, drums; Annie (Nelson) Lageson, piano; Magdalene (Adams) Weber, accordion.  The Dakota Layboys:  Orlando Odegard, trumpet; Cliff Odegard, banjo; Olger Odegard, violin; Pete Knutz, accordion; Duane Davis, drums; Annie (Nelson) Lageson, piano:  The Adams Brothers Band: John M. Adams, banjo; Fred Adams, violin; Clara Adams, piano;(her younger Sister, Magdalene, took her place after she married); Carl Wasness, saxophone and clarinet; Chester and Oliver 01son, bass horns.  Slim Thompson, Jack Mills, and the Country Gentlemen Bands were often featured at the bowery.  Shortly before the present City Hall was constructed, the bowery was moved to the rear of the now Weber Grocery.

 

Some of the residents may recall the two airplane crashes in Reynolds.  In 1930, one crash occurred east of the city at the Tony Scholand farm just 100 feet from the house.  The two men kilted in the crash were from Grand Forks.  Prior to the crash, they had safely returned a local resident from an airplane ride.  That young lady was Verona Murphy.  The second crash occurred in the 1940's on the corner, north and across the street from the present Reynolds Liquid Fertilizer Warehouse.  That airplane belonged to Harry Faleide, from Buxton, North Dakota, and the two young gentlemen killed in the crash were Grand Forks University students.

 

THE REYNOLDS BOOSTER

Thomas Kleveland's first publication of the Reynolds Booster was dated February 1, 1939; "in the hope of retaining the fine feeling of loyalty and cooperation that exists between the Reynolds businessmen and the people of its trade territory."  It was an 8-inch by 14 inch four page circular, published weekly, with the local news and advertising, and a small editorial.  Forty-two issues were mailed to box holders, and distributed in the city. Top circulation figure was reached when over 750 copies of a special edition were mailed.  Thomas Kleveland operated a grocery store in the Rockaway Hotel building.  In February 1940, he published his last "Booster", and sold his business to Oscar Evenstad.

 

BEE HIVE BAR

In the mid 1930's, Oscar "Bee Hive" Ellingson opened his public saloon.  We now know how the "Bee Hive" got its name!  He operated the saloon for a few years when E.S. (Dick) Ellingson became the proprietor.  In 1939, O.P.Cushman purchased the business and operated it until 1946, when it was sold to the Reynolds Improvement Association, a corporation.  "Duke" McMenamy was the first manager, and in 1950, Leonard Colee managed the business. Herald Hjetmstad was the next manager in 195& and remained there until the present Bee Hive was constructed.  To this day, our one and only saloon is called the "Bee Hive".

 

REYNOLDS COMMUNITY HALL

In 1937 the city was without a suitable building for public gathering purposes and started the necessary paper work to take advantage of the Work Project Administration (WPA) and construct a community ha11.  The estimated cost of the building was $14,433.00.  The city's cost would be $5,403.00 and the balance would be paid from Federal funds.  The city then proceeded to call for a special election to issue serial bonds in the amount of $6,000.00.  The bond issue passed and the construction began.  Bert Atmquist was the local foreman.  The following bids were awarded:  Ireland's Lumber Yard for material, $3,815,89; Ireland’s again for insulation board $599.00; Andrew Bergly for the stucco finish on the exterior of the building, $200.00; Schulstad Hardware for hardware; E.H. Enger, wiring; and John E. Nuss for heating installation, $1,235.00.  On May 17, 1939, the new city hall was formally dedicated and sponsored by the Reynolds Civic Association Committee.  Members of that committee were; O.A. Ellingson, S.M. Berg, Ben Larson, Rev. Thomas Ryan, and Thomas Kleveland.  The afternoon program had speakers:  Thomas H. Hoodie, State WPA Administrator, Paul Glass, WPA district director, and James Gronna, Secretary of State.  There were also musical selections by the Grand Forks High School Band, and the Reynolds Band; a boys quartet; a cornet solo; and a flute solo.  The day was topped off with an evening dance, with music supplied by Lem Hawkins; Reynolds was a "Live Town" once more.  The hall became the amusement center of the town.  It was rented out for dances, movies, roller-skating, plays, etc.  In the later 1940’s a meeting room was completed on the main floor, and that became the office of the City Council.  In the 1970's, bathrooms were installed in the basement.  The halt is "quiet", now, only an occasional dance is held there, and once a year the American Legion Club holds their "Turkey Raffle" in the hal1.

 

CHARLES JECHART, BARBER

Charles Jechart moved to Reynolds in 1944.  He operated a barbershop in the Rockaway Hotel building until in 1953, when he and George Berthold built his own shop on the corner, east of the present Post Office.  He retired in 1969, due to it] health, and sold the business to Claude Christie of Buxton, North Dakota.  Mr. Christie was generally open only one evening a week, as he operated another shop in Buxton.  He sold this property to Paul Scholand, and the building was torn down.  This was the last barber business in the City.

 

SEVERT HANSON, GROCERY

Ed Sorenson started construction on a new building in the late 1920's. Before completion, Jens Hjelmstad purchased it and finished the construction in 1930, when he opened his grocery business.  In 1940, it was Svedberg Grocery and in 1946 At Gigstad purchased the business.  On June 13, 1951, Severt (Sid) Hanson became the new owner.  He and his wife, Doris, operated the grocery store until 1961, when John Weber purchased the inventory.  Hanson Grocery was the last business in this building, it stood empty until the Fire Department purchased the lots and built their new station.

 

E.H. ENGER, ELECTRICIAN

E.H Enger, Master Electrician, was the first Northern State Power Company representative for Reynolds (and this also included Buxton-Thompson-Cummings) serving from 1926 until his retirement in 1965.  During the first years he would have to turn the switch "on" for the street lights each evening at dusk, and then turn the switch "off" again at midnight.  He did much of the local wiring - the City Hall, for the Churches, for potato warehouses, etc. Mr. Enger also had an Electric Shop - the first in the building formerly known as Mrs. Bye's Restaurant and Rooms, then in the early 1950's he purchased the Schulstad Hardware Store, and in the early 1960's he purchased the Standard Oil Service Station building for his shop.  In the 1940's he, assisted by his nephew Harold Severinson, wired many rural farms when electricity was being made available to the farmers. 

 

Mr. Enger had also operated a garage in the early 1920's where Weber's Grocery now is.  In 1925 Mr. Enger moved his garage equipment to the west end of the City to the former Sveen and Rustad Building.  About 1931 he leased the Standard Oil Service Station and operated it for a few years mostly assisted by his nephew, Leonard Severinson, and father-in-law, Lars Berg.

 

Mr. Enger was the movie projectionist for the Motion Pictures held in the City Halt from early 19^0's to the early 1960's with two shows held each night on every Saturday and Sunday evening.  In the 1930's there were free outdoor moving pictures shown - one site was the First City Park and from there it was moved to west of Alvin Johnson's where the bulk tanks are. It is noted in the August 14, 1939, copy of "The Reynolds Booster" that, "the moving picture projection booth on the site of the free movie area in the north end of town will have to be moved to make room for the installation of oil tanks."  Back in September l914, Brathovde and Murphy opened the Reynolds Moving Picture Show in the Opera House with two performances each week on Tuesday and Saturday evenings.  These were silent movies with Mildred Sonsterud as one of the piano players and Myron Brathovde was one of the projectionists.

 

On November 15. 1946, a man from Grand Forks started holding roller skating sessions for the youth in the City Hall every Friday - skating from 7:30 to 11:00 p.m. for 80 cents - and then he quit in May 1947.  On June 6, 1947, E.H. Enger began holding roller skating as an entertainment for the youth with no charge to begin with - only what they wanted to donate "in the hat" to cover the expense for the use of the City Hall which was rented from the American Legion.  Mr. Enger and his wife, Ruby, continued this entertainment every week, usually a Wednesday night, until tale 1950's; then they only held occasional skating sessions until late 1960's.  The PTO of Central Valley Public School sponsored some roller-skating sessions for the youth in the 1970's.

 

BRAATEN TV AND APPLIANCE SHOP

Albert Braaten attended high school and college in Moorhead, Minnesota from 1916-1924.  After graduation, he owned his first retail radio shop and later on handled neon signs.  Albert recalls that during the summer the radio stations were so weak that they would put them away until fall!  He returned to Reynolds in 1943, when he joined his brothers in their potato warehouse.  The Gordon Saure Warehouse is now on this site.  The Braaten brothers also had the International Harvester dealership, where Albert worked in the parts department, and did radio repair on the side. That building is now Weber Grocery.  During World War II, Albert taught electronic mathematics and radar at the University of North Dakota, to the United States Signal Corp.  He returned to Reynolds and resumed working with his brothers.  In 1953 he started a full business, as television came to our area.  His business was in the International Harvester building for a few years, then in the Rockaway Hotel building until he had his first new business place constructed in 1961.  He remembers his first television sales; three sets were sold prior to the time WDAY TV started operation in 1953.  Clemens Adam and Milford Hovet from Reynolds and Oscar Bestland from Bygland, Minnesota, were the buyers.  Mr. Bestland flew here in his own airplane, landed on the old ballpark, ordered his television set and an antenna, and returned home.  Albert retired in 1975, and sold the business to Donald Staie.  Vanscoy Honey Farms was the last owner of the building.  The building is now vacant.

 

STANDARD OIL BULK STATION

In 1910 the Standard Oil Bulk Station was opened in the City of Reynolds. The main building was located right north of the present Reynolds Liquid Fertilizer Plant (and the north tanks being used by the Fertilizer Plant were previously the Standard-Oil Bulk tanks.)  Lars L. Berg was the first Standard Oil Bulk Agent.  His son, Melvin, assisted him and later took over as the Standard Oil Bulk Agent in Reynolds until Met retired in 1953. A third generation member continued as agent, he was Norman Severinson, grandson of Lars L. Berg.  Dale Holien was the next manager, until 1974 when the Standard Oil Bulk Station was closed.  The present steel garage on the residential lots of Ruby F. Enger is the original Standard Oil Bulk Station.

 

STANDARD OIL SERVICE STATION

The Standard Oil Company had been granted permission in an ordinance of the City in 1912 to construct and maintain their warehouse, the tanks, "and other-buildings necessary for their business.  About 1931, the Standard Oil Company built a service station on the corner of the former Beard livery stables.

 

The first lessee was Gene Enger, next a partnership of Alfred Johnson and Leonard Severinson, and then Leonard had it alone.  Others who operated if were Dick Mugstad, John Kruse, Martin Iverson, Ole Tweten, Oliver Vien, Myron Kuster, Myron Weigel, Louie Halle, and Joel Monson.  Douglas Adams was the last one to operate the Station. 

The Station was closed about 1965.

 

The building was then purchased by E.H. Enger and used for his Electric Shop until his death in 1977.  At the present time the building belongs to Marvin Grass.

 

FARMERS OIL COMPANY

In March 1951, about sixty people met in the Reynolds Community Hall and decided to form a cooperative oil company in conjunction with the Farmers Coop Elevator.  The Elevator Board of Directors at this time were:  Matthew von Ruden, George L. Adam, Fred Gjelsness, Einar Saure, Max Griggs, Henry Evenstad, and Fred Ackerman.  An advisory board was elected at the meeting; they were Ben Larson, Oswald Braaten, Leo Schultz, John M. Adams and Malcolm Tweten.  Paul Schreder was manager and Norman Severinson was the tank truck driver. Harold Severinson was hired in January 1952 as manager and driver.

 

In August of 1954, it was decided to separate the Oil Company from the Elevator.  The name would be The Farmers Oil Company of Reynolds.  The advisory board would form the Board of Directors.

 

In October of 1958, a new service station was started and completed in December.  The operator was Alvin Johnson who managed it until September 1970, when Bernard Breidenbach bought Alvin out.  Bernie is the present operator.

 

Sales the first year were 188,520 gallons of gasoline and fuels for $36,354.00.  Sales for 1979 were 1,133,792 for $892,048.01.

 

The present Board of Directors are Henry Larson, President; Joseph Ackerman, Vice President; John M. Adams, Secretary - Treasurer; and Leo Schultz and Arden Schumacher.  Others who have served were Clarence Hjelmstad and Etroy Gohdes.  Present employees are Harold L. Severinson, Manager; Gordon Severinson, Assistant Manager and Truck Driver (5 years); and Helga Johnson, Bookkeeper (20 years).

 

REYNOLDS LIQUID FERTILIZER COMPANY

In 1958 a group of farmers and Paul Schreder talked of liquid fertilizer and decided to start a new company to handle it.  The first year it sold just a few tank cars of nitrogen.  The next year they purchased a 20,000-gallon tank from the Cities Service Oil Company and started to handle some mixed fertilizer.  In January 1960, Harold L. Severinson was hired as manager; more tanks were added, and in 1974 they purchased the Standard Oil Bulk Plant bringing the storage capacity to 1,200 ton.  Forty-two $100.00 shares of stock were sold, and now have assets in excess of $100,000.00.  The present Board of Directors is the same as the first year:  Maurice Gjelsness, president; Alvis Schultz, Vice President; Leo Schuitz, Secretary- Treasurer; and Henry Larson and Joe Ackerman.

 

FARMERS CO-OPERATIVE ELEVATOR COMPANY

The Farmers Co-operative Elevator Company of Reynolds, North Dakota, was organized as a stock company in 1903, and was chartered under the name of Reynolds Farmers Elevator Company.  The original elevator was located about two hundred feet north of the present site and operated there until 1915, when a new unit was constructed, and what is now in use as the main house. From 1903 to 1910 there were two managers. Otto Larson when it was organized, and later Martin Erickson.  In 1910 the company employed John Broute as manager who stayed with the company until 1927.  It was under his management that the new elevator was built in 1915.

 

In 1927 the management was changed to Jens Bronken.  Under his management the company made many advancement, such as building new coal sheds and rebuilding the old elevator as an annex.

 

In 1947 the management was changed to Paul Schreder.  1948 brought about the reorganization of the company as a cooperative under its present name of Farmers Cooperative Elevator Company of Reynolds, North Dakota.  In 1953 the company put up a 40 feet by 100 feet Quonset for warehousing seed and fertilizer.  In 1956 the seed plant was added with the newest and most modern seed cleaning equipment installed.  A new 60,000-bushel annex was built in 1957, doubling the grain handling capacity of the company.  After thirteen years of service, Paul Schreder resigned in 1960, being replaced by Chester Breidenbach.

 

In 1961, Chester Breidenbach resigned being replaced by Lowell Wheelborg. During Lowell Wheelborg's period as manager, a new manager's residence was built.  Lowell Wheelborg resigned in 1963 being replaced by Edwin Riddle.  In 1964, Edwin Riddle resigned leaving the manager's position run by Larry Griggs on a temporary basis.

 

On March 4, 1964 Larry A. Leiss was hired as manager.  During 1969, a new driveway and scale were added to the main elevator.  In 1972 a bulk fertilizer plant was added to the complex.  Due to the shortage of transportation in 1973, two new grain semi units were purchased.  During 1974 they improved their seed facilities adding a 38 feet by 90 feet warehouse for bagged registered and certified seed.  In 1974 the Pinto Bean Plant was added, in 1978 a 50 feet by 120 feet steel warehouse for sunflowers storage was-built; and in 1979 the Anhydrous Plant, three blocks north of main plant, was added.

 

At the present time Larry A. Leiss is Manager, Morris Krogstad is Assistant Manager, Colleen Bohm is Bookkeeper, and Randy Leiss is third man.

 

REYNOLDS COOPERATIVE ASSOCIATION

The Reynolds Cooperative Association was formed March 30, 1939.  The elevator was purchased from the National Atlas Elevator Company with the Farm Security Administration furnishing the money.  Shares of stock were sold at $200.00 per share.

 

Incorporators and directors, until successors were elected were: Peter Haugen, Oscar Mahlum, John H, Hjelmstad, John Wilson, and Edgar S. Fleshe. The first manager was Henry Balkan.

 

In 1949, a new annex was added; in 1950, elevator number 2 was purchased from D.J. Hennessy.  In 1958, new construction was discussed.  This became fact in March of 1959, with the new main house and office built, and open house was held in March 9, 1959.  In 1971, a grain dryer was installed; in 1975, an anhydrous fertilizer plant was built; and in 1977-78, two new steel flat storage buildings were added.

 

Directors who have served the co-op are:  Peter Haugen, George Berthold, Edgar Fleshe, Knut A. Sondrol, Ole Krogstad, Walter Kuster, Clifford Peterson, Bennie Grove, Ernest Hanson, Melvin Hjelmstad, Leo Schultz, Alonzo Peterson, Ole Lee, and Tilford Hegg.

 

Managers who have served are Henry Balkan, Waif red Ferila, and M.O. Danielson.

 

Present directors are Gerald Kuster, Danny Lee, Oliver Krogstad, Ordean Gulson, and Kenneth Adams. The present manager is Richard Freeland.

 

POTATO WAREHOUSES

Potato Warehouses date back to the 1930's.  Joseph Hennessy's was on the north corner of the present Reynolds Co-op Association.  Bert Bertheuson had a Potato Warehouse where the former stockyards were located, and is now the Kenneth Tweten Potato Warehouse.  Murphy and Murray constructed their warehouse in 1939; this property now belongs to the Galegher Brothers and is located south of the Tweten Warehouse.  Braaten Brothers Warehouse was located just north of the present Farmers Elevator Company.  In 1944 Ben Larson constructed his warehouse west and across the street of the Far North Potato Company, which now owns that building.  The Rakoczy Brothers operated both the Murray and Bertheuson warehouses at one time.

 

The present Potato Warehouses in the city are:

Far Noth Potato Company, constructed in 1960

Galegher's Potato Warehouse, constructed in 1959 with additions in 1964

Galegher's Potato Warehouse, constructed in 1971

Galegher's Potato Warehouse purchased from Murphy and Murray in 1966

Gerald Kuster Potato Warehouse^ constructed in 1971

Gordon Sauer Potato Warehouse, constructed in 1967 and an addition in 1973

Tri-Drees Potato Warehouse, constructed in 1969 and an addition in 1974

Kenneth Tweten’s Potato Warehouse, constructed in 1969

 

There are six rural Potato Warehouses:

Gerald Kuster, constructed in 1953, 1958, and 1963

Henry Lazur & Louie Lazur, constructed in 1975 with an addition in 1978

Carroll Lebacken, constructed in 1961

R.D. Moen & Sons, constructed in 1969

Gene Sondreal & Willis Sondreal, constructed in 1970

Kenneth Tweten, constructed in 1961

 

LONG DISTANCE TRUCKING SERVICES

Austreng, Larry

Kuster, Gerald

Larson, John

Larson, Pat

Lebacken, Carroll

R.D. Moen & Sons

Scholand, Tony

Scholand, Victor

Tweten, Kenneth & Larry

 

JOHN M. ADAMS, CARPENTER

John M. Adams was always handy with a hammer.  In 1946, he started in the cabinet making business while he still lived in the country.  In 1956 he added remodeling and construction to his business.  He moved to Reynolds in 1958 into the new home he built for himself.  In 1967 he purchased a shop on Main Street across from the school bus garage.  There he stored his tools and equipment, until in 1973 he built a shop on his own property to the east of his home.  His sons, Kenneth and John A., and his brothers, Fred and Clemens, and later his grandsons, Tom and Gregg Adams and Steve Scholand worked with him.  William Scholand also worked with him, and most recently, Stephen Fetter.  It can be said that John has done some kind of construction work in all of the local businesses, including the Catholic Church.  He has also built over a dozen new homes in the City and surrounding area.  John also had a great love for music.  He recalls his younger years when he and his brother Fred took violin lessons from Will Hennessy.  He also played the piano and tried the guitar, but did not like that.  During the period of the silent movies, he and his brother Fred played their violins along with Thora Olson at the piano.  This was only a few occasions, as John was in a dance band that kept him busy all over the two counties. John still plays his banjo in his son-in-law's band. The Scholand Band. He is also still busy in his carpentry business.

 

BERNIE'S SERVICE STATION

Since 1970, Bernard Breidenbach has owned and operated his station with a complete line of tires, batteries, etc.; general automotive repair and maintenance, and two gas pumps.  In the past few years, his sons, Tom, Dean, and Chris have assisted him and are learning the business at a very young age.  Bernie's wife, Marie, has been his bookkeeper from the start.

 

REYNOLDS RURAL FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT

As was the case with all frontier towns, Reynolds had no proper Fire Department, just a tin bucket and ladder!  Ours was stored next to the city jail by the old artesian well.  The "bucket brigade" was all volunteer members of the community and they were formally called the Reynolds Fire Brigade.

 

In May of 1939, the city had a switch installed in the central office of the telephone company, whereby the fire alarm equipment could be sounded and an alarm given by the operator on duty. In May of 1941, a city resolution was passed stating that since the city had no fire fighting equipment except for individually owned had extinguishers; it was necessary to purchase a fire truck.  That first truck was a used one, purchased from the City of Hatton, North Dakota for $200.00.  It was equipped with chemical tanks, hose, ladder, etc., and stored in the Power House building which later became the fire station.  In the meantime, the Power House was leased to several different businesses with the stipulation that they heat the room in which the fire-truck was kept, so as to keep it from freezing. In March of 1943, The Reynolds Fire Department was officially created.  It was to consist of one chief, one assistant chief, one fire marshal, one secretary - treasurer, and an active membership of not more than fifteen members.  The equipment, apparatus, and other properties of the department were to be housed in the Power House, and the city was to maintain control of the equipment.  The membership dues for fire protection were then $1.00, later raised to $2.00, and now are $5.00.

 

In 1976, they organized as the Rural Fire Protection District and in 1977 built the present station.  Three pumper trucks are in full-time service, with one standby truck.  The department purchased a used ambulance in 1977 and restored and equipped it for rescue service.  In 1978, thirty-two local people completed a course in Emergency Medical Training and are qualified members of the EMT Squad that responds to emergency calls.

 

The present Volunteer Department Chief is Neil Thompson, District Chief is Morris Krogstad; and Secretary - Treasurer is Chuck Moen.

 

Emil Severson is the oldest living member of the original Volunteer Fire Department now residing in the City.

 

WEBER GROCERY AMD MEATS

H.K. Nelson operated a garage in this building, and Martin Austreng had a cream station in a portion of the building at the same time.  In 1939, Fred Berthold took over the garage business and in the early 1940's, the Braaten Brothers established the International Harvester Implement here. In 1955, Lawrence R. Weber became the new owner.  In 1960, Lawrence liquidated that stock, and in 1961, his son, John, purchased the Hanson Grocery inventory and started his grocery business in this building.  His supplier in the grocery line was and presently is the L.B. Hartz Wholesale Company of Thief River Falls, Minnesota.  The store features groceries, fresh meats, beef quarters and halves, homemade sausages, locker service, and custom slaughtering.  John and Clara will celebrate their twentieth year in operation in 1981.

 

REYNOLDS BEE HIVE LOUNGE AND CAFE

Reynolds Enterprises, Inc., comprised of about seventy stockholders, formed this corporation in 1975 with Larry Leiss as President of the Board of Directors.  Richard Moen was Vice President. John Weber, Secretary - Treasurer and the directors were Ordean Saure, Kent Krogstad, Arden Schumacher, and Orlando Lebacken.  Their purpose was to construct a new building for a lounge and cafe, and in late 1975, the 40 feet by 80 feet building was completed. Herald Hjelmstad was the first manager, and in August of 1976, Don Roberts became the manager.  He left in July of 1977 and various managers then operated the cafe until Don Roberts returned in 1979 as the majority stockholder.  He has been a successful manager since then.  He is well known in the surrounding area for his expertise in the culinary art!

 

REYNOLDS SUPPLY COMPANY

Reynolds Supply, Inc., comprised of about seventy farmers, purchased the Lebacken Implement in 1969.  In 1974, Joe, Adolph, Oliver, Don, and Kent Krogstad purchased the company.  In 1977, Brian and David Bohnsack purchased Joe, Adolph, and Oliver's share of the business.  The Reynolds Supply Company then acquired all of the lots from the east corner up to the Krogstad Garage.  Then in 1980, they held their grand opening for the new 50 feet by 96 feet building, which is an asset to the city's main street.  At the rear of the building are three warehouses for storage. The oldest one is believed to have been part of the livery stable owned by Leland Ford in the latter 1890's.

 

KROGSTAD GARAGE

Krogstad Garage is situated on lots 13, 14, and 15, block 6.  The owners of these lots date back to 1887 when A.L. Hanson, who operated a restaurant on the property, purchased them. In 1892, Johan Berg purchased the business.  There were two adjacent buildings on these three lots.  In 1900, William Hemmy owned the east building for his general store.  In 1905, Anker Steen started his general store in the west building.  In 1936, Oscar Severinson operated a battery shop in the west building, and in 1943, he purchased all of the property and started a complete garage.  Delmer started working for Severinson on November 1, 1948, and continued working for him until he purchased the business in June of 1959.  Delmer demolished the west building in 1974 and constructed a new 40 feet by 72 feet steel building.  The original east building is still being used.  Delmer's son, Alien, has been employed there since 1970.

 

THE COCOANUT GROVE PAVILION

In March of 1959, a dozen or so active members of the community and rural area formed a corporation and called it the Reynolds Sportsmen s Club. This organization built the outdoor dance pavilion on the property donated by Joseph Ackerman, and was located west of William Breidenbach s residence. Martin Schabo donated the gravel, and recalls that one Sunday twelve trucks hauled the gravel to the site, and that was the beginning of the pavilion. The members of the club all helped in the construction.  They also had a concession stand, and with the help of their wives, would take turns in serving lunches.  The dances were generally held on Wednesday nights and hired very good bands.  Some of them were hired through the National Orchestra Service, Omaha, Nebraska.  Some of these bands were:  Sammy Stevens, Preston Love, Little John Beecher, Jimmy Thomas, and Tommy Allan. The club also hired Grand Forks area bands, namely Bill Dvorak, Jimmy Dunn, Wood Snyder, Pancho, Budd Spangelo, Bill Lee, and Jack Hannah.  The pavilion was in operation for about three years.  It is interesting to note that the club carried a rain insurance policy which stated that, "In the event of one tenth of an inch or more of rainfall as recorded on the dance pavilion lot, the company shall be liable for the full amount of insurance specified for such item."

 

MASONIC LODGE #42:

In the 1890's, Reynolds Masonic Lodge #42 filled a great need for a lodge halfway between Hillsboro and Grand Forks and drew its membership from Reynolds, Thompson, and Buxton.  Hillsboro Lodge #10 sponsored it in 1893.  Brother Jorgen Howard was the first Worshipful Master.  The Lodge originally held their meetings in the Rockaway Hotel, and later purchased the Methodist Church building.  They were a very active organization in their time.  As membership decreased, they voted in 1973 to surrender their charter and rejoin its Mother Lodge in Hillsboro.  The Senior Citizens Organization now owns the property.

 

AMERICAN LEGION CLUB

The Reynolds American Legion Post #256 was organized in 1944.  Its first commander was H.R. Schulstad; adjutant, Henry Evenstad.  The Legion managed the operation of the City Hall for many years.  They held their meetings in the basement of the community hall until 1960 when they purchased their present building from the Central Valley School District.  This building is located west, across the street from the KG Building.  Alien Krogstad is the current Commander, and Larry Whetzel, Adjutant.

 

AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY

The American Legion Auxiliary organized in 1946.  Their first president was Mervyn Wold.  They too held their meetings in the community hall basement, then later in private homes.  They are a charitable organization, having donated funds to the Fire Department, City Park, and various others. They have adopted a Veteran at the Veteran's Hospital in Fargo, North Dakota, and  an adopted retarded child at the Grafton State School.  They were also responsible for sending a young girl to Girls' State; the first young lady was Wilma Perila (Galegher).  The present president is Sophine Adams.

 

HI - FLYERS SENIOR CITIZENS CLUB

The Senior Citizens Club organized in January of 1973.  Their first President was Lester Adams; Vice President, Herald Hjelmstad; Secretary-Treasurer, Helga Johnson.  Membership was 108.  They held their meetings in the Knights of Columbus building.  In the meantime, they purchased the Masonic Hall in May of 1973.  The club proceeded to renovate the building. They re-wired, installed new windows, bathrooms, a furnace, bookcase and kitchen appliances and cupboards.  They also lowered and tiled the ceiling, and had the walls textured.  On October 14, 1974, they were able to move in.  The present officers are: President, Fred Adams, Vice President Katherine (Kate) Adam; Secretary, Sylvia Hjelmstad; Treasuruer, Ethel Breidenbach.  There are 45 current members.

 

KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS

The Reynolds Knights of Columbus club has grown to more than 65 members since 1953 when the late Rev. Bernard Higgins, former pastor of the Catholic Church, formed it. The club started with 12 members from Reynolds, and now has members living in Thompson, Buxton and Grand Forks. Meetings were formerly held in the church basement, but a lack of space and a desire for their own building forced them out. The Knights purchased the old school house and the property in June of 1966 for $1200.00 from the Central Valley School District at a public action. A considerable of remodeling was done, which included a large dining area, kitchen and ballroom.   The organization decided to form its own Council in 1972.  It was named the Father Higgins Council #6340 after its founder. There are 37 charter members. Since its beginning, many wedding receptions, dances, dinners, anniversaries, and other special occasions have been held there. The present Grand Knight is Roman Adams.

 

REYNOLDS PARK DISTRICT

In December 1977 the Park District of the City of Reynolds was created. In a special election held January 24, 1978, five commissioners were elected to the park board. They were: John Weber, President: William Leddige, Clemens Adam, Joe Colee, and John M. Adams, members. Plans for a new city park were made and the Knights of Columbus and the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department funded the project that amounted to about $100,000.00. The park covers three-fourths of the block surrounding the KC building. It is fenced on all sides; and contains a basketball court, a double tennis court, bathrooms, and park shelter with a service kitchen, horseshoe pits, barbecue grills, and playground equipment. The park was formally dedicated Sunday, June 24. 1978, with many area residents in attendance. The present Park Board members are; John Weber, President; Clemens Adam, Mike Ackerman, John M. Adams, and Larry Eliason, Commissioners.

 

O.T.O. HOMEMAKERS CLUB

This club organized in 1954 and celebrated their 25th Anniversary in 1979. Charter members are: Ann Breidenbach, Betty Scholand, Margaret von Ruden, Frances Fetter, and Ethel Breidenbach. Honorary members are: Fern Adams and Alpha Colee. There are 16 members, and Mrs. Donald Cooper is the President.

 

REYNOLDS HOMEMAKERS CLUB

On April 14. 1939, this club was organized with eleven members. They have celebrated their 40th Anniversary in 1979. Four members have received the Jewels of Service Award, they are: Mrs. Walfred Perila, Delia Severinson, Mrs. Emit Severson, and Mrs. Ordean Saure. Both Mrs. Ordean Saure and Mrs. Walter Drees have served as President of the Grand Forks County Homemakers Council. Mrs. Drees served as State Homemaker President as well as Regional Director on the National Extension Homemaker Council. Present officers are Mrs. Larry Tweten, President; Mrs. Glenn Lebacken, Vice President, Mrs. Ralph Jenson, Secretary and Mrs. Ordean Saure, Treasurer. There are 13 members.

 

METHODIST CHURCH.

The Methodist Episcopal Church was the first church ever built in Reynolds, and that was in 1882 at a cost of $3500.00.  A parsonage was constructed shortly after.  In 1896, Rev. Frank A, Shawkey was the pastor, and in 1898, A.C. Roufczahn was the pastor.  In 1915 Rev. Bennett was the pastor for both Reynolds and Thompson Church.  This church building later became the Masonic Temple, then the Senior Citizens Center.  The author was unable to find additional history on this Church since it had "closed its doors" as early as the latter part of 1920.

 

HISTORY OF ZION LUTHERAN CHURCH

At first the Lutheran families in the City of Reynolds joined with the organizing of the St. Olaf Lutheran Church, rural Reynolds, in 1886.  To meet the spiritual needs of the growing numbers of Lutheran families in the City of Reynolds, thirty-one families had "signed a request” to build a church in Reynolds.  The first meeting of the Zion building committee was held January 21, 1892, and was composed of Swen Ellingson, Ludvig Schulstad, Christ Hagen, Frank Drengson, Martin Mela, Halvor Severinson and Gilbert Ness.  After purchase of lots in the SW corner of Block 33, and specifications made regarding design, size, and materials to be used, the bid was "let".  A contract with a bid of $2230.00 was signed May 3, 1892, and the work was completed in June.

 

The charter members of the congregation are: Ludvig Schulstad, Swen Ellingson, Frank Drengson, Martin Mela, Halvor Severinson, Turis Iverson, Albert Brakke, Olaf  Sonsterud, Christ Hagen, Oluf Olson, Berent Bokk, Toris Olson and Otto Huseby.

 

Each member donated one-half dozen chairs and took turns as janitor.  In 1904 pews were purchased for $262.00.  Two stoves were used until the "basement was built in 1927 and a furnace installed.  Ten kerosene lamps were used until gas lights were installed.  When the light plant was built in Reynolds in 1912, the church was wired and the old gas lights were used until 1939 when new fixtures were installed.  In 1947 a tile floor was laid in the main church; in 1954 extensive remodeling was done; in 1958 a new organ and piano were purchased; in 1959 the Altar was painted; in 1968 carpeting in the main church; in 1974 rest rooms and pastor's study; in 1979 new carpeting was laid in the basement and walls painted and paneled; in 1980 the kitchen was painted and linoleum tile was laid.

 

The first 31 years Zion was served by pastors from Hillsboro or Buxton.  In 1923 Zion, Stjordalen and St. Olaf united to form a parish and Rev. M.O. Ensberg was the first minister called to serve the three churches. Zion remained independent of any church synod until July 1923 when they joined the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.  The church also was dedicated at that time.  The Synod name was changed in 1946 to the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and in 1961 through merger of several church bodies, it became The American Lutheran Church.  Rev. Milo D. Gudim is the present pastor; also serving the St. Olaf Church and Stjordalen Church, which together with Zion comprise the Reynolds Lutheran Parish.

 

Organizations are a vital part of a church's congregation.  The Zion Ladies Aid was formed in December 1890 when it was decided to divide the St. Olaf Ladies Aid, of which the ladies had been members, into two groups; one group to work for St. Olaf Church and the other to work for a church to be built in Reynolds.  The members have assisted with the upkeep of the church while giving liberally to missions and charities.  Of interest, they helped buy the Altar in 1905 and purchased the church bell in 1907. In 1922 the Ladies Aid joined the Women's Missionary Federation and in 1961 became a member of the American Lutheran Church Women.  Another organization was the Sewing Bee organized in 1925.  They too gave to missions and helped the local congregation.  This organization became inactive in the middle 1940's.  A joint Zion - St. Olaf Altar Guild was organized in May 1963 with regular meetings held every other month until November 1965.  A Communion Chasable was sewn in September 1964.

 

There has always been concern about the children and the young people of the congregation.  Records indicate the Sunday school was started about 1892.  The Norwegian language was used at first and the change to the English language was gradual.  Enrollments have varied over the years, from 25 to over 60 pupils.  Vacation Bible School has always been held over the years for the youth; at first being held for a month, a teacher was hired, and a local parishioner boarded her.  Since 1955 local lay people have been the instructors of the Vacation Bible School with a term at first, being held for half days for two weeks, and at present for full days for one week.  Rev. Tallakson organized a Luther League in 1924.  Meetings were devotional and social.  The Luther League is still active, and is now composed of youth from the three churches of the parish, called a Parish Luther League.  A "Pigeforening" was organized in 1896; the society took in members as they were made eligible by confirmation and records were kept until 1904.  The society was active in raising money to be given to the local church treasury.  Mrs. Thomas Gabrielson was instrumental in organizing the Joybells Society in 1942 with the young girls of the Parish.  The purpose of the organization was to sew and raise money for orphans and missions.  The Joybells became inactive about 1947.

 

Music is an important part of Lutheran heritage and through the years there have been many faithful and dedicated organists.  The choir is an integral part of a worship service.  Over the years there have been many dedicated and faithful choir members, directors, and accompanists for the adult choir, the junior choirs, the cherub choir, and the girls’ chorus.

 

Zion Congregation is proud of the men of the congregation who have served and who have given their lives for their Country.  In World War I there were 19 young men serving; and in World War 11 there were 39 young men in service.  Six of these gave their lives for God and their Country; World War I was Carl Ellingson; and World War II were Kenneth Bergly, Norris Gorder, Donald Severinson, Everett Severinson, and Otto D. Sorenson.

 

OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP CATHOLIC CHURCH

Records in the parishes of St. Michael's in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and St. Stephen's, Larimore, North Dakota, tell of baptisms and marriages of Reynolds people before the establishment of an incorporated parish.  The Catholic life was not neglected.  A unique example of this is the gathering together of neighbors on Sunday mornings at the Mrs. Flory home southwest of Reynolds.  There the people prayed the Rosary, read the Scriptures, and other spiritual readings, led by Mrs. Flory.  In 1889 Father Connally, of the Larimore parish, moved to the Hatton, North Dakota, area and had the western part of the Reynolds parish under his jurisdiction.  He attended spiritual needs, baptisms, and offered Mass in private homes, namely the Simon Turks, John and Matthew von Ruden.  The homes of Michael Flory and Michael Berthold were used to hold Mass in the yet earlier days, when Fathers Spitzenberger and Albrecht came on occasional missionary visits.

 

During Rev. Edward Conaty's jurisdiction of Reynolds in 1893, the first small schoolhouse, then abandoned on the south side of town, was purchased for $300.00 and moved across the railroad tracks.  Mr. Joseph Ackerman and his neighbors, with the use of a capstan, moved the little church. As the community grew, so did the necessity of a new and larger building.  In May of 1895, Joseph Ackerman of Reynolds, and James McMenamy of Thompson, presented their people's plea for an incorporated parish and a resident Priest to the first diocesan Bishop, John Shanley.  It was decided to locate the church where the Catholic people were in greater number.  Reynolds had forty families; Thompson had twenty.  The Iver Iverson home, then the temporary residence of John Murphy, was purchased for a Priest's residence.  The cost of this residence was $700.00.  Father Benno Kauer was appointed pastor of the new parish, but spent only a short time here.  Father Bernard Fresenborg, who, during his pastorate of less than one year, saw the new frame church with tin sheet veneer, followed him, planned and nearly completed for the sum of $4,000.00.  The next priest was newly ordained, Father Edward J. Geraghty, who saw the completion of the church, and celebrated its dedication June 11, 1898.  In the records of 1899, a list of the parishioners is given as follows:  Michael Etienne, Charles Holinger, John von Ruden, Joseph Ackerman, Ferdinand Berthold, John Neubauer, John Ackerman, Philip Flory, Mrs. Flory, John Murphy, Mrs. McKenny, J. Ingram, P. O'NeM, Charles Schabo, P.A. Schumacher, Budd Schumacher, H. FeUngs, George Berthold, Matthew von Ruden, Louis Ackerman, Joseph Schotthofer, Mrs. Kippen, Mike Donovan, John Schumacher, William Breidenbach, Martin von Ruden, Mike Angelsburg, Anton Leddlge, N. Marx, Anton Ltnneman, S. Turk, S. Wilde, Tom Lavin, Anton Breidenbach, Joe Adams, Ferdinand Adams, Jacob Adams, George Ganajoski, Tony Schumacher, Jacob Flory, M. Reidy, M. Flory, M. Madigan, M. Fish, M. Hennessy, J. tiollinger, M, O'Bn'en, Max Berthold, Simon Schaefer, John Zickgraf, and H. Schirtliff.  Many of these early Catholic pioneers left descendents still residing in the parish.

 

In 1922, the church was enlarged and remodeled while Father Francis Meyer was pastor.  In 1948 the present parish house was built.  At that time, Father Joseph Bellerose was pastor.  Father Bellerose is now the only living priest of all the priests who served this parish.  He is retired and living in Texas.  More remodeling was done in 1953.  This was done in the basement, when new furnaces were added, bathrooms were installed, and the kitchen was re-done.  In 1954, the front entry to the church was added.  A few years later, under the supervision of John M. Adams, the breezeway was constructed that connected the church and rectory.  Then in 1976, the interior of the church was completely redecorated.

 

The parish lost three of their sons in the service of their country.  In World War I, Thomas Mealy, son of James T. Mealy, gave his life for God and country in France.  In World War II, Captain Joseph Hennessy, U.S.M.S., son of D.J. Hennessy, and PFC John McMenamy, U.S. Army, son of Joseph McMenamy, lost their lives.

 

In years past, the diocesan Sisters taught religious instruction for the parish children at vacation summer schools. With the shortage of Sisters to teach, it became necessary for the lay people to instruct their own children. A religious education committee was formed and volunteer teachers from the parish began the weekly CCD (Confraternity of Christian Doctrine) program. This program is still in practice today.

 

The women of the parish were active in many groups such as the Altar Society, the Martha's, the Liturgical Committee and the Christian Mothers, which is divided into four groups. These groups clean the church, serve for bridal showers, funerals, and other special occasions. The Christian Mothers were noted for their delicious fail suppers that were attended by many people from the neighboring communities.

 

The church's decision makers are the Parish Council members the council consists of twelve members. Annual elections are held, and the current president is John Weber.

 

The church celebrated their 50th Anniversary on October 11, 1945, and also held a celebration for their 75th Anniversary on June 28, 1970.

 

One of the memorable highlights of this parish was the ordination of Phil lip Ackerman to the priesthood. He is the only member of the parish, since it’s beginning, to become a priest. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Ackerman of rural Reynolds. His ordination took place June 11, 1978, at the Central Valley School gymnasium, with hundreds of people attending the ceremony.

 

Father Kenneth Knoke came to serve as pastor in 19&3. On September 1, 1970, the Thompson parish came under his Jurisdiction. Father Eugene Connally was his assistant until June 1, 1971; since then, Father Knoke has served the two parishes alone. This year of the Centennial brings another special occasion to the parish, and that is the 25th Anniversary of Father Knoke's years as a priest. The parish helped him celebrate this event on June 22, 1980.

 

There are approximately one hundred twenty-five families in the parish at this time.

 

HISTORY OF REYNOLDS PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT

The Reynolds Public School District served the people of the community of Reynolds.  It was situated on the county line of Grand Forks and Traill Counties. The Reynolds public erected its first school building in 1893 (40’by 22').  It was native rock; stone-faced with light brick and valued at $20,000.00.  It contained four classrooms, two playrooms in the basement, steam heat, sanitary closets, sanitary drinking fountain, a 700-pound bell, and a well in the basement, it was said to have excellent light and ventilation.  It had biology and physics equipment valued at $225.00, with two compound microscopes. Prior to the erection of this schoolhouse, the children of Reynolds and its immediate area attended classes in a small school whose whereabouts is disputable! Some say it was in the northeast part of town; others say it was south, near the coulee.

 

In 1895-1896 the Board of Education consisted of C. H. McManus, President; J.E. Fritz, Secretary; Walt Turnbull, Treasurer; members were Lars Larson, Swen Ellingson, W.F. Gibbs, and John Murphy.  E.L. Whitney was the Superintendent.  Margaret Dickieson taught the grammar grades; Nellie Gilbertson, the intermediate grades, and Maude Sowie, the primary grades.  The school at that time had eight grades and two years of high school.  In 1914 the fourth year of high school was added, and the only graduate that year was Borghild Haugen.

 

The library was an important part of the school.  In early 1895 it contained only 42 volumes, but 64 of the pupils read them 338 times.  By the end of the year the number of books had increased to 200.  By 1915 there were 1962 volumes.

 

A listing of pupils contained many names still known in the Reynolds area. A few are Beard, Ellingson, Gorder, Schulstad, Sollom, Zickgraf, Sonsterud, Ackerman, Knudsvig, Marx, Severinson, and Janney.

 

Enrollment figures for the year 1895-1896 were primary, 49 students; intermediate, 52 students; grammar, 32 students; high school, 39 students; total 172 students.

 

The building burned during a noon hour in January 6, 1925.  A new building was erected the same year west of the burned building.  The rest of the year, the grades 1 and 2 were situated in the rooms below the old central office.  Grades 3,4, and 5 were held in the East rooms of the Rockaway Hotel.  Grades 6,7, and 8 were held in the West rooms of the Rockaway Hotel.  The high school held their classes in the Methodist Church. Basketball practice and games were held in the Opera House.

 

The new school had a gymnasium, and classrooms for the high school.  This building was used until the school district was reorganized in 1959? (which including neighboring school districts and the Buxton school district), and then became known as the Central Valley School District.  The first Board of Education of the new Central Valley District was:  President, E.H. Enger(Reynolds); Clerk, John Zon (Reynolds); Treasurer, Mrs. Mi Hard Lerom (Buxton); LeRoy Kobbervig (Buxton); Frances Schreiner (Reynolds); Mancur Olson (Buxton)and Duane Davis (Buxton).  The new school was built mid-way between Buxton and Reynolds, along old Highway 81, and was opened in 1965.  In the mean time the students attended school in Buxton, Reynolds, Hillsboro, and Climax, Minnesota.

 

In I960 the Central Valley Public School District leased property from the City of Reynolds and built a four-stall bus garage on the site of the original City Park (north of main street), in 1979 the school added more bleachers in the gymnasium, and also a mezzanine, and installed a new vinyl basketball floor.

 

The present members of the Board of Education of Central Valley School District are:  President, Gordon Saure (Reynolds); Vice President, Alton Finstrom (Buxton); Clerk-Treasurer, Kenneth Molvig (Buxton); Gordon Mohn (Buxton); John A. Adams (Reynolds); Gordon Gunderson (Buxton); John C. Anderson (Cummings); and Myron Breiland (Buxton).

 

An interesting news item found in the "Reynolds Booster" on June 2i, 1939, was a listing of the pupils entering the first grade in the 1896-97 school year in the Reynolds Public School: Roy Anderson, Tilda Anderson, Ethel Austin, Mabel Amess, Minnie Broten, Bertha Buck, Emma Evenstad, Coleman Geary, John Gorder, Bessie Hilliard, Minnie Hoyt, Hattie Ackerman, Maggie Buy, Marl Beard, Minnie Berg, James Fair, Oscar Gorder, Mike Olson, Kornel Asheim, Minnie Beard, Hazel Corry, Alma Drengson, Carl Elltngson, Maggie Geary, Emit Anderson, Annie Bye, Orrin Clure, Lonnie Enos. Harry Hilliard, Vesta Hostetter, Lester Jadney, Clara Larson, Oscar Larson, George Limerich, Mary Meyer, Alma Munson, 01e Olson, Caroline Ramsfield, Vincent Smith, Harry Schutstad, Mabel Rauk, Arnie Rauk, Clara Sonsterud, Eddie Schumacher, Henry Schumacher, Isabelle Wallen, Signa Wallen, Patrick Geary. Louie Meyer, Martin Nesvald, Lottie Sow1e, Elmer Sonom. Bessie Zickgraf, Vinnie Goodrich, Inga Iverson, Roy Moen, Ole Peferson, Olivy Schulstad, and Alta Smith.